Friday, September 4, 2009

Per Chance To Understand

Every year that I get to experience this life, I gain a deeper understanding of the cliché, "The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know." This does not stop me from trying to, at the very least, understand what is going on. So I read. I read anything and everything that I can get my hands on. On some nights I wish I didn't need eight hours of sleep so that I had more time to read.

Lately I am trying to understand two things, at least at a basic level: the current recession and the health care system debate. I think if people read more, and tried to understand more, there would be a great deal less shouting at town hall meetings across the land. I could be wrong. It may very well cause more.

These items gave me some greater understanding today:

On the recession:
How Did Economists Get It So Wrong?
Paul Krugman, NY Times

On Health Care:
How American Health Care Killed My Father
David Goldhill, The Atlantic

Bending the Curve: Effective Steps to Address Long-Term Health Care Spending Growth
The Brookings Institution

I must give a nod to yesterday's David Brooks column for pointing me in the direction of the two items on health care.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
Republished copies of complete columns or portions of columns published here must be attributed with the following by line: "Silk City Independent, Manchester, Connecticut" followed by this blog's URL: http://silkcityindependent.blogspot.com/